BLINDS CORNERS AND CURVES

Blinds corners and curves - Flowering trees for shade.

DRAPERY HARDWARE CORNER. HARDWARE CORNER


Drapery hardware corner. Arch window draperies. Roll blinds.



Drapery Hardware Corner





drapery hardware corner






    drapery hardware
  • Any fixture that supports drapery or shades that are hung on windows like rods, rings, hooks, brackets, etc.





    corner
  • A place where two streets meet

  • A place or angle where two or more sides or edges meet

  • a place off to the side of an area; "he tripled to the rightfield corner"; "the southeastern corner of the Mediterranean"

  • gain control over; "corner the gold market"

  • the point where two lines meet or intersect; "the corners of a rectangle"

  • An area inside a room, box, or square-shaped space, near the place where two or more edges or surfaces meet











Ensenberger Building- Bloomington IL




Ensenberger Building- Bloomington IL





Gustave Adolph Ensenberger came to the United States from Bavaria in Germany in 1854. Only three years old at the time, he and his family initially settled in Ohio and then moved to Indiana. Gustave went to school until the age of twelve when he began to work in order to help support his family. George Ensenberger, Gustave's father, went off to fight with the Union Army in the Civil War in the early 1860s. Upon his return, George brought his family to Bloomington, Illinois, in April 1868. He was encouraged to do so by an old friend, Dr. Herman Schroeder, a horticulturist. Dr. Schroeder encouraged many of his friends to make a home in Bloomington because of its rich farmland, prosperity, and great opportunity.
After establishing a new residence, Gustave went to work in Dr. Schroeder's vineyard. He then followed in the footsteps of his father and the many other woodworkers from his family's past. He was hired by the Bloomington Manufacturing Company where he assisted in the making of cabinets and other furniture. After this experience, Gustave decided he wanted to start his own furniture manufacturing business. In 1879, he opened the Bee Hive store on the corner of Front and Center Streets. The making of the furniture was done inside the building, and then it was put out on the sidewalk to be sold. Not long after opening its doors, the business moved a couple doors east on Front Street into the Gridley Building. In the next few years, Gustave's efforts fueled the growth of his company. In 1886, he purchased the D.B. Harwood Hardware Store Building at 212 N. Center Street. This address was the location of the business for the next 109 years. While business was booming, Gustave decided that he needed to continue expanding. In 1909 and 1910, a six-story building was constructed to connect with the original building on the Madison Street side. It was designed by George Miller. In the same years, a warehouse for the Ensenberger business was created on the corner of Washington Street and Roosevelt Avenue.
Over the years, the business began to sell other manufacturers' merchandise in addition to its own. Expansion was also evident by the fact that the store added a rug department along with draperies, linoleums, window shades, phonographs, lamps, and pianos. As a result of all these events, the business prospered, and Gustave became an admired Bloomington citizen. He was also considered an upstanding citizen because of his involvement in the community's civic affairs. Meanwhile, while Gustave was attempting to run a successful business, his wife, Elizabeth Reisch Ensenberger, gave birth to five children, Frank, Gus, Joseph, Eleanor Marie, and Marie Frances. Both daughters died at a very young age. However, Frank, Gus, and Joseph survived and grew up with the business, which proved to be a major influence in their lives. After Gustave retired in 1913, his sons took control of the business. Frank became president; Joe became vice-president; and Gus became secretary-treasurer. Also, in 1914, the firm was incorporated as G.A. Ensenberger & Sons. The three sons managed the firm successfully even after their father's death in 1917.
As the years progressed, the sons decided that they wanted to construct a new building that would replace the present one. In 1925 and 1926, a modern English Gothic building was created to house the furniture store. Designed by the A.L. Pillsbury firm, this structure was unlike any other building in Bloomington. With its gothic spires, colorful terra-cotta medallions, and ornate indoor decorations, the new seven-story Ensenberger building was an architectural wonder that cost between $250,000 and $300,000 to create. The opening of the store occurred on May 11, 1926. It was estimated that 40,000 people, some from as far away as California and New York, visited the store during the first five days after the opening. Frank, Gus, and Joe continued to operate the store for the next few decades.
In 1972 when Joe died, his son, Joseph, became president of the business. Five years later, Joseph moved to New Mexico and left control of the company in the hands of his brother, Jack Ensenberger. Jack continued to operate the firm with the help of his son, David, and his daughter, Lucy, the fourth generation of Ensenbergers to take part in this furniture enterprise. In the 1990s, the Ensenberger store was being hurt by the changing behavior of consumers. Customers were more likely to shop at a variety of stores. They paid more attention to prices. Lastly, there was a declining loyalty to longtime retailers among customers. Therefore, since the business had trouble competing in the furniture market, Jack closed its doors in November 1995.

from mchistory.org











Lyttelton 1855




Lyttelton 1855





This is a restoration of the earliest known photograph of Lyttelton. Dated 1855, it is view down Canterbury Street from the north-east corner of the intersection at London Street. Taken from the immediate vicinity of what is now the site of the Volcano Cafe, it shows what was then the main shopping street of the early port. The conflaguration of 1870 cleared the way for the horizontal London Street to replace Canterbury Street in that respect.

Viewed from the south-west corner of London Street are:

Armitage Brothers's Butchery

William Pratt's Drapery and General store. Pratt subsequently sold out to the Baker and Confectioner Thomas Gee (this photograph comes from the collection of Gee's Grandson, Alfred Selwyn Bruce). William Pratt went on to found the Christchurch store that became Ballantynes.

The front fence of the house of Henry William Reid. A Dr. McCheyne lost his life by falling down the (extant) entrance steps behind the gate.

Unknown shop.

Samuel Gundry's hardware store

Mrs Coe's Drapery shop

The Livery Stables of Thomas Bruce and Coe (the aforementioned Alfred Selwyn Bruce (1866-1936) was the son of Thomas Bruce (1826-1899) and his wife Ellen, formerly Gee (1833-1928).

The first Mitre hotel on the corner of Norwich Quay, opened by Major Hornbrook in 1849 and destroyed by fire in 1870.











drapery hardware corner







Related topics:

retractable car window shade

toile chandelier shades

contemporary roman shades

gazebo canopy parts

windows blinds xp themes

10 x 10 gazebo replacement canopy

shades of red for hair color



category
Category: None
tag
drapery
hardware
corner
colonial
storm
shutters
awnings
seattle

TrackBack Url

http://blindscornersandjl.blog.fc2.com/tb.php/11-31958b1a